Readability of a text depends on more than just the text itself. The language capability of a reader, the reader's backgound knowledge of the subject matter and the motivation of the all have an effect on how well a text is comprehended.
In order to facilitate readability consider:
- Making some attempt to anticipate readers' background knowledge of the subject matter of the text;
- Assessing what cultural difficulties may influence comprehension;
- Using abstracts;
- Using translations;
- Pre-reading in native language on similar topic;
- Using story maps;
- Pre-reading vocabulary work;
- Using pictures, diagrams, maps, charts etc;.
- Pre-reading discussions.